Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Memories

It's Christmas Eve. We're about ready to go to the Christmas Eve service at our church. It's always a wonderful service. It only lasts an hour or less.

I have so many memories of Christmas past so I think I'll write about them. I'll start with my childhood. I remember being so excited and thinking Christmas morning would never arrive. I was a child in the 40's and money was scarce...but I don't remember ever being disappointed on Christmas morning.

The year of 1947 my mom's sister, Aunt Lou, came through for us. Aunt Lou and Uncle Al had only one child, Judy. She and I were best friends. But Judy loved horses, not dolls! They knew my parents had little money so Aunt Lou went shopping for dolls! She also made clothes for them! Lorraine and I were so happy!

The next year, 1948, I wanted a scooter. It was in the Sears catalog, red and white, with a brake! I dreamed about that scooter. I don't know how my folks could afford to buy it for me, after all they had three other kids to buy for too. But Christmas morning there it was. I loved my scooter. I was in third grade that year.

I have lots of wonderful memories of Christmas with Jerry and our children, too. An outstanding memory is of our five kids getting up at 6:00 on Christmas morning (every year) and singing We Wish You a Merry Christmas! They thought they were waking us up but we were always already awake! How could we not be with them shushing each other and saying, "Shhh, be quiet, you'll wake up Mom and Dad." Of course we always let them think they woke us up! But one year, at about 3:00 am, we were awakened by one little boy singing at the top of his lungs, We Wish You a Merry Christmas! I had to go out and convince Teddy it was still night time and he had to go back to bed. At 6:00 o'clock he was up singing with the rest of the kids!

Then there was the year, a couple of years after Pam was married, that the phone rang at 6:00! We were still in bed, the kids just about ready to start singing. I answered the phone and Pam was on the other end of the line wishing us a Merry Christmas. Then she told us some exciting news! She was expecting her first baby! I didn't really know if I should believe her or if she was kidding me! She convinced me it was for real! That baby was our first grandchild, Andrew.

Another wonderful memory was Jerry's mother coming to our house every Christmas morning to watch the kids open their gifts. She was an early riser so she always came by 6:00! Some years she came before 6:00, more like 5:30! Our house was still dark, we were still sleeping...she'd have to sit in her car and wait until 6:00 when the kids woke us up! The last several years of her life we had her come on Christmas Eve and stay all night so she was already there in the morning.

One more memory I must write about. Ted was grown now and in college and working. He was working at a boys ranch for troubled boys. He told me he wouldn't be able to come home for Christmas, he was scheduled to work. I couldn't believe it! I told him to tell his boss he had to go home. He explained to me that someone had to be there with the boys and most of the other workers were married with families so it was more important for them to have the time off. I was so disappointed. Our kids were growing up and life, as it had been for years, was changing. Well, I tried to accept the fact that Ted wouldn't be home but I was very sad. Christmas morning two cars came driving up the driveway! One was Jerry's mother and the other was Ted! He came in loaded down with presents for everyone! He said his boss told him to go on home! He had about a 2 1/2 or 3 hour drive to get home but he was there at 6:00 AM. That was a wonderful Christmas and I'm left with a wonderful memory!

Lord, thank You for Christmas, for the birth of Your Son, Jesus. Thank You for the wonderful memories I have of Christmas past. Help us to remember Jesus Is The Reason For The Season.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great memories! Thanks for sharing them.