Thursday, December 18, 2008

Christmas Decorations

Yesterday I watched Dr. Phil. Did you? It was on folks who go to extremes. A woman was there who decorates her house for Christmas to the max! There was every imaginable Christmas decoration, except I didn't see anything about Jesus being born! It was all commercial. There wasn't a bare spot in her house! It was very distasteful. I'm writing about this because I recently posted about my sister-in-law, Vel, and her Christmas decorations. I posted three pictures and said it was only a fraction of her decorations, which is true. However, I want to make sure no one misunderstands me. Vel's house and decorations are absolutely beautiful. I wish now I'd taken more pictures. She has pine boughs draped across the walls and lots and lots of wreathes. She wrapped her pictures, that are hanging on the walls, with Christmas paper! They look like presents hanging on the walls! So clever! She has two large, beautiful Nativity Sets. Behind each of them she hung a large navy blue piece of clothe for the night sky and on each is a large star that lights up, highlighting the reason for the season. She has gone to a whole lot of work decorating because she loves it, and take my word for it, her house is beautiful. Nothing like the one on Dr. Phil yesterday.
Lord, thank You for creativity. Thank You for the reason for the season. Thank You for Jesus.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

No, I didn't watch Dr. Phil yesterday, but I wish I had. Some people really to go overboard for Christmas. Your sister-in-law decorated very tastefully for the holidays. I wish there were more pictures of the decorations too, but your descriptions help me create a beautiful picture in my head.

Kate said...

I agree...less is more...Ilove a tastefully decorated country home but don't enjoy the bling...I do love lights in the snow ...My girlfriend and her husband live in the country and she really decorates...but with lots of garland, acorns, berries, angels etc...the house is cedar inside and it is lovely....Dad doesn't like much so I go easy here ...when I move to the lake I will put garland and old fashioned decorations up.

Anonymous said...

Vel's house is a wonderland with something delightful to see everywhere you look. But not overdone or tacky. Decorating is definitely a gift which Vel has been blessed with - but not me. Too bad she can't come and help me decorate.