Saturday, December 06, 2008

Mother's Home


The day before I flew out to visit my mom would have been my parents 75th anniversary. I wrote a blog about them... These beautiful red roses were sent to my mom by Lorraine, my sister. This picture doesn't do them justice but I wanted to show them with Mother. I dropped a penny in a day before my last day and they perked up for a few more days! Everyone was enjoying them.

Meet Johnny. He's the resident dog at the home where my mom lives. I tried and tried to get a good picture of him but I think he's camera shy! This is the best shot I got. This is a very impressive home where my mom lives. They are only licensed for eight residents so they have become very close and all look out for each other. Sorry, the picture is in the wrong place...
My mom's roommate is Tommy Lee! She claims that's her real name, I'm not telling you her last name. She is really a good friend to my mom. Her mind, like my mom's, is very good. She has physical problems. She and Mother take care of each other.

Millie is a very sweet person but she doesn't know why she's there and she's very restless. She paces the floor and wants to go home or she'll ask for Joe. I asked her, "Who is Joe?" Joe is her husband and he often comes to take her out for lunch. I saw him once...a very nice, good looking man, who seemed very patient with her. Very sad. Millie told us she used to be a secretary and could type 140+ words a minute, with accuracy!

The first morning I was there a police car pulled up at the same time we did. One of the residents, Betty, was taken inside by a policewoman. Betty had somehow gotten outside...unnoticed, and wondered off. A bell rings whenever the door opens but somehow she slipped out. She was looking for her parents, especially her dad. Her mind seemed to wonder. We'd be visiting and all of a sudden she wouldn't make any sense in what she was saying. It was so sad.
Bill was the only male resident! He loves to read and his wife takes him to the library about once a week. It's very near. She comes to see him several times a week. I asked him what kind of books he likes and he said historical novels, so I asked him if he used to teach school. I was thinking history or social studies. No, he was a rancher! The more saw of him, the more I could see him out riding his horse, rounding up the cattle! His wife told me she helped along with Bill and the other cowboys. He has thick, gray, curly hair. He's tall and walks with a walker but boy, does he go!
My mom. Her mind is very good, but her body is wearing out. Everyone knows that my mom loves God. From day one she prayed before she ate. They all eat together at a dining room table. Everyone waits for her to pray. Different ones told me how much they love to hear her pray.

There are more, of course, but these are the ones I got to know the best. I'll miss them but they are in a good place.

Lord, thank You for this home where these folks live and are taken such good care of. Thank You for the workers who seem so friendly, and loving, and capable. Thank You for letting me go to visit my mom.











1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The roses for your mom are beautiful! I bet she enjoyed them so much.

I volunteering at a nursing home for five years and I remember our resident dog was named Bucko. The residents were always happy to see him. I loved getting to know each of the residents and have them share stories with me.

I'm so happy you had a good time!