Thursday, May 08, 2008

Mourning Doves

We've had the strangest thing happening in the tree beside our front porch for a long time. I've thought of writing about it for weeks and now it's time. We had some mourning doves build a nest in the tree last year. The female sat in the nest for a long time. A male was always close by and sometimes in the tree too. Then one day they left and were gone for a few weeks. But they did come back. Once we found tiny broken eggs on the ground. We didn't see any baby birds...did some thing else get them? It's possible. The mourning doves disappeared again. But they came back for short visits! Well, that was last year...now they're in the tree again this morning. This is at least the second time we've seen them so active in this tree this spring! They were here a few weeks ago and then left! I can see them from where I'm sitting in the living room. They are so busy, like they're repairing the nest, making it livable! It's so strange.

Well, now, this is strange! The birds we're watching this morning aren't mourning doves! They're robins! They've taken over the nest and are remaking it! I hope the mourning doves don't come home soon!

Lord, thank you for the birds, all kinds! I praise You because You are Love. "Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground apart from the will of your Father. And even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. So don't be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows." Matthew 10:29-31 (mourning doves, robins, etc.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Anita! I saw your blog address on Joy's blog and have started tuning in. Your musings about life and family are a delight! I watched a robin outside my window yesterday and it really gave me a chuckle. I have cypress mulch around some flowers and the robin was hopping around trying to stuff as many pieces in his mouth as he could. When he couldn't fit any more in his mouth he finally took off with long strands of mulch flowing behind him. I'm surprised he could fly with the load he was carrying!