Tuesday, November 04, 2008

I Voted!

It's done...I voted, we voted. We're having beautiful Indian Summer so it wasn't bad standing outside in line. We saw folks we know and haven't seen in a long time. It was interesting. But here is something I don't understand...school is not in session today. Why? Last week when my grandson, Miller, told me they don't school on election day(Atlanta, GA), I couldn't believe it, and was sure we would have school here. Why would school be dismissed when mother's are to go vote? It would be so hard to vote with little kids tagging along. Well, guess what, there's no school here today either! I was right...it is very hard for mother's with kids, but they were there. Kids were crying, running, gripping, running cars and jeeps all over, playing games, etc. I can't believe authorities can't see how hard this is on mom's. Do they think it's educational for the kids to see their parents vote? What other reason could there be? I think it's ridiculous...
Lord, thank You for the USA. Thank You for all our freedoms. Thank You for letting us vote. Please be in control of who wins today. I praise You because You are In Control, no matter what the outcome of the vote.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I voted, too, but didn't have to wait long. I think the reason there is no school is that they use the schools for places to vote but I also heard that it was parent teacher conference day (which I don't really believe).
wk

Anonymous said...

My children pretty much always had election day off from school too. Their schools were polling centers and with all the strangers in the school to vote it was not considered safe for the children. We never had to wait in lines like those in this election when I had the boys with me to vote.

Pastor Joy Ziegler said...

My sister is a teacher and she said they had two reasons for not having school. First, since the schools are polling places, it isn't safe for all those strangers being in the school. Secondly, they have professional development days scheduled for teachers "to go to school" themselves. Yesterday was one of those days.

Anonymous said...

I think most people get school off, but I remember in second grade when we didn't get the day off. We got to vote in a "kiddie" election for George Bush Sr. and Bill Clinton.

I got lost on my way to our election and walked into the grownup election place! I started filling out a card with my name and address, but I didn't know my zip code! Other kids walked by me and told me our election was elsewhere. Once the lady helping me turned away I ran! I was so afraid of getting in trouble that I ran away from the table to follow the other kids.

After I got back to the classroom, Mr. Russell came to give me my voting card half filled out. Mr. Russell was a police officer in my neighborhood and my best friend's dad. He laughed when he saw me trying to fill out the paperwork. My teacher and the class had a pretty good laugh too. I always say I voted for the first time in second grade. :)