Monday, November 24, 2008

Community Hymn Sing

Last evening we went to the Community Hymn Sing. It was very good. It was also well attended, 180+, 19 were from my church! There was instrumental music: Piano & organ, clarinet, accordion, saw, and dulcimer. The special singing by Lowell, Gloria, Bob & Cliff, and a group of women was all excellent. And I do mean excellent! There was also congregational singing of hymns, which none of us sing any more in our churches.

I love to arrive a little early because the piano and organ are always playing the most beautiful prelude. It takes me back to the days of my youth when we went to youth rallies and other services where the piano and organ played such beautiful music. My family lived in Winona Lake, Indiana for a few years and the Billy Sunday Tabernacle was the place to be, every day, afternoon and evening.

Singing with folks who who used to be part of our church but left because of some disgruntle, is the only hard part of a community sing. It's good to see them again but it's sad because, apparently they are searching for the perfect church. But there is no perfect church because churches are made up of imperfect people. I'm not in perfect agreement with all the changes in our church but I am in agreement with the doctrine of our church, and that outweighs any differences in opinion.

An interesting and fun part was being recognized by Gloria. She asked how I am and what I'm doing now! I told her I'm sorry but I don't know her but I love her singing and her piano playing. She said I do know her, from years ago when I was the caller of substitute teachers! She worked in the administration office. She heard someone say my name and remembered I was the caller.
It was fun reminiscing with her. She's very attractive and dresses nicely, and is very talented as a singer and pianist.

Lord, thank You for the beautiful music we listened to and participated in last evening. We truly worshipped You.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow! I sure have a lot of catching up to do on your blog and our blog as well. Its on my list of things to do today. I'm setting aside a good block of time for blogging because I think its fun!

I love hearing organ music. We used to have a small organ in our basement and I used to play Christmas songs on it. You must have had so much fun reminiscing about your days as a substitute teacher caller and singing. :)