Thursday, July 03, 2008

My Freezer Story!

A friend of mine just went on a trip for the entire month of June and accidentally left her freezer unplugged! Can you just imagine, after a month, the mess, smell, flies, etc?

When I was a little girl, living in Oklahoma, my mom raised chickens so we'd have meat to eat. Money was very scarce but enough was given to our family so we could make a much needed trip to Iowa to visit family. I don't know how long we were gone, probably two weeks (school Christmas break). When we got back home something was wrong. My parents opened the deep freeze...it wasn't working! Everything was thawed! The chickens my mom had worked so hard to raise, kill, dress, and freeze for her family...all rotten and very smelly. I don't know how many there were. I do know my parents got rid of the freezer and bought my mom one of the first automatic washing machines! It was a Thor Auto-Magic Washing Machine. She'd had a ringer type up to this time (I got my fingers caught in the ringer!) This all happened in about 1947, I was seven or eight years old. So, that's my freezer story, Ruth.

Lord, how good it is to look back over our lives and see how you took care of us. Even though my parents suffered loss with this incident they never lost faith in You. There were lessons to be learned through an experience like this and faith in You to provide meat and other groceries for our family to survive. You provided. Thank You.

No comments: