Friday, April 25, 2008

My Mom


My MOM was a wonderful seamstress. Her mother (my grandma) gave her this little Singer sewing machine when she graduated from high school in 1932! (She was the only one of her family of four children to graduate!) One of the clearest pictures I have in my mind of my mom is of her sitting at the sewing machine. When I was little she made almost all of my dresses. We didn't wear jeans or pants or shorts, only dresses and sometimes skirts and blouses. I remember in the 1940's money was scarce so we would go to the farm feed store and buy feed sacks for a few cents a sack! We'd pick out the prettiest ones and Mother would make dresses for Lorraine and me. Because my daddy was a preacher sometimes the ladies in the church would let Mother go through the missionary box to see if there was something she could salvage for one of us. One time she found an adult coat in the box which she took completely apart and then made a coat for me! I thought it was beautiful and I loved it. My mom could do anything and everything! Picture #1 is of my brothers and sister and me. Richard, Anita, Billy, Lorraine, 1947. Lorraine and I are wearing dresses made from feed sacks. If you look closely you'll see lace trimming the pockets and neckline. She did what she could to make us look nice and I'm proud of how she sewed and dressed us in hard times. Heavenly Father, thank you for my mom. Life wasn't always easy for her. She worked hard and loved You more than anything. Thank you for my mom.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing such a special memory! Do you have that sewing machine now?

Anita said...

Yes, Mother gave it to me a few years ago. In fact, it's sitting on top of the book case that you like so well!

Anonymous said...

I remember that sewing machine very well, Anita. That sewing machine is as much apart of family history as each one of us kids are. It brings back pleasant memories.