Friday, February 25, 2011


     Well, we, Jerry and I, have just gone through an experience I hope we don't have to repeat ever. It was a very interesting, stressful experience, a tough time.  Here's the story:

     Jerry was scheduled for a colonoscopy Thursday. He had to prep himself Wednesday and early Thursday morning. The prepping is the worst part of a colonoscopy, if you've never had one. Anyway, he ate his last meal Tuesday at supper time. Wednesday all day he only ate jello, pop sicles, beef bouillon, water, etc. Then he had to drink 32 ounces of Gatorade mixed with some kind of powder. He also had some pills he had to take three different times of the day.
     After taking the last two pills about 8:00 PM Wednesday he began to feel sick so he went to bed. About nine he had to get up to go to the bathroom...again. But he didn't make it. He was in the doorway reaching for the light switch when he suddenly passed out and then collapsed. I was scared to death. I couldn't do anything with him or for him so I called 911, also Rob & Jessica. They were all here in no time! About 10 men and two woman!  They checked him over very good. He was throwing up and in really bad shape so they took him to the hospital in an ambulance. Rob and I followed in our car. They ran all kinds of tests, etc. We were actually in emergency from about 9 something PM to 3 something AM! Then he was admitted into the hospital and taken upstairs to F floor. 
     That's the floor Jessica works on!  He wasn't assigned to Jessica but he was to one of her very good friends. Jessica stopped in his room every chance she had to see how he was.
     The doctors were thinking they would skip the colonoscopy. I told them no way...after going through the prepping he had to have it done! So...
     The surgeon went ahead and did the colonascopy Thursday morning. NO CANCER! Yeah! Thank You, Lord. They ran all kinds of tests to figure out why he passed out and didn't really come up with a reason other than he was dehydrated. 
     Haleigh, Elmise and Armon each made a get well card for Grandpa. They are really well done and very sweet.
     We got home a little after 7:00 last evening. We have to sleep downstairs for a few nights, Jerry isn't to climb stairs for a few days and he's to rest.

     About an hour after we got home, there was a knock at the door. Haleigh, Elmise and Armon all wanted to give Grandpa a hug! Rob came with them through the woods to Grandpa's house! They stayed about 10 minutes then gave another round of hugs, said good-bye, and trekked back through the woods to their house. Armon had so many questions about the ambulance, staying at the hospital, being sick, and ...  He's a very normal and sweet six year old boy. It was a sweet visit and meant a lot to both Jerry and me.
     Heavenly Father, I praise You because You are our Healer. Thank You for being with Jerry. Thank You for the report of no cancer. Thank You for good doctors, nurses, and ambulance people. Please continue to be with Jerry and help him to get his strength back. I love Jerry so much and You love him even more!


hopeinbrazil said...

Hi Anita, I was extremely ill after taking the preparatory meds for a colonoscopy. I don't think the doctor's want to admit that the meds can make you that sick. I'm so glad Jerry came through all right.

Kate said...

I had a colonoscopy in November...what an experience!! Not fun..mine was just routine and everything came back normal. However I can understand how someone could pass out .....glad Jerry is OK and gettng back to normal.