Friday, January 23, 2009

Questions to Answer

This is a list of questions sent to me by a blogging friend, Trish, of Nana's Living the Dream. I've tried to answer honestly.

1) I know you have been married nearly fifty years, how did you meet your husband?

Back in '58 work was slow. I had just returned home from college for the summer with the promise of a job. But then I was told not to report for work for at least two weeks. My parents were leaving on a speaking tour for my dad (he was a preacher) so I went with them. The end of the trip was to a camp in Michigan where my dad was the special speaker. The very first night of that camp I was introduced to Jerry. Camp ended but our romance didn't! I transferred to a college in Michigan...we were married the next year, five days after graduation! The rest is history! I will add here that after almost 50 years we are still in love!

2) You sound like a great cook. What is your favorite meal to serve company? Please give details.

I love having company for dinner and always try to make it a special time of visiting and eating delicious food with our guests. I think my favorite meal to serve is breakfast...Puff Pancakes with Sausage and Peaches. My mother served this to my older brother and me during a visit to them and then gave her recipe to me. I'm not really a morning person but for this I go all out. A special two-tone juice, fruit bowl, puff pancakes with sausage and peaches, cinnamon rolls, and coffee. It's very special. I cherish it and love serving it to friends.

3) Please tell us all the places you've lived. Where was your favorite? Why?

I have lived in so many places. I never lived in one house longer than 3 years until I got married! I started out living in Iowa,38-46 and 50-57, that's my home state. I also lived in Oklahoma,46-48; Illinois, 49-50; Indiana - summers of 56-58; South Dakota, 55-58 and Michigan, 58-09. I love Iowa, I feel very at home there. I only lived in Oklahoma for two years but they were, maybe, my favorite two years. I was in 2nd and 3rd grades. I had so much fun with my best friend, Molly. We were in the same rooms in school, went to the same church, our mother's were best friends, we were like two peas in a pod. Life was hard back in the 40's but I have so many wonderful memories of those two years in Oklahoma. I've lived in Michigan now for 51 years. I love Michigan so perhaps it's now my favorite. We raised our family here. Jerry and I are in retirement now and enjoying our life together.

4) What television star would you like to spend an afternoon with? What would you do for the afternoon if cost was no problem and you could just choose anything to do together?

O boy, this is tough. I think I might like to spend an afternoon with Ann Curry. I think a long walk through a park or along a shore, or hiking in the mountains (that's my favorite thing to do); just talking about life, our families, God. Just talking and laughing, enjoying each other for who we are.

5) Who influenced you the most in your life? Give the reasons why.

My parents influenced me the most. They became born again Christians when I was about two. Life was not easy, money was scarce, my dad traveled a lot. They were both totally committed to their personal relationship with the Lord. My parents were not perfect and made some mistakes in their child rearing (haven't we all?!) but they were loving and totally committed to each other and to Christ.

So there you have it, or should I say, me? If you'd like to be interviewed also, just send me an e-mail telling me so and I'll e-mail five questions to you. Copy and paste the questions into your blog and write out your answers. It's fun and simple. May I hear from you?

Heavenly Father, I thank You for life, for my life. It's not been perfect, but You are Mercy and Grace. Help me to live pleasing to You. Help others to see Christ in me.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Anita, this is absolutely beautiful. Thanks for sharing. I feel like I know you better, although we have never had the chance of actually getting to know each other. Arn't blogs wonderful? Hugs, Sue

ruth said...

I really enjoyed getting to know you better through these questions Anita. Thanks for sharing:)
Ruth

Kate said...

wow..that was awesome..i can't really blog or do much these days broke my arm skating last sat nite. it takes me a long time to do my stuff...like house work meals...just getting dressed or doing my hair is a major ordeal...and the cast will be on for another 6 weeks or so...

Charity Grace said...

What a fun interview! I love to hear stories of people who have been married forever. What a sweet example for us young ones. :)