Wednesday, September 24, 2008

The right thing to do...

Last evening we went to Logan's for supper. As usual we got the special: two meals for the price of one. Jerry ordered steak, broccoli, salad, and rolls. I ordered salmon, baked sweet potato, salad and rolls. It's a really good meal...usually. However, yesterday Jerry's steak wasn't good. It was full of Grissel. The waitress asked if he'd like a new steak and he said yes. Well, by the time it came I was done eating my delicious meal. The manager, very apologetic, brought his new meal with a Styrofoam box and said our bill was taken care of. We were pleasantly surprised and got up to leave. Our waitress was very pleasant and also told us the bill was taken care of. We thanked her and left. We were almost home when Jerry said, "Oh no, I forgot to leave a tip for the waitress!" It wasn't her fault his meat wasn't good and she'd been very nice and sweet. I had a meeting to go to and would be driving right past the restaurant so we decided I'd better stop and give her a tip. I saw a look of panic on her face as she came to see what I wanted her for! She obviously thought I was mad about something! I apologised and told her we forgot to leave a tip so I was bringing it to her. Boy, was she surprised! She said we didn't need to do that. I said, we did...it was the right thing to do. Lord, help us to always be conscientious and do the right thing. Thank you for reminding us that we needed to give her what she deserved.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Anita, I appreciated you item about "The Right Thing To Do." It reminded me of a story I've told before, but not here. It's about the time our Dad took me to the stock car races. Here's the story:

There was the time dad and I went to the stock car races in Peoria. The man at the ticket booth said, “One adult and one child, that’s two-twenty-five for you and the boy.”

Dad responded, “No, the sign says, ‘twelve and under, half price’ and my son is thirteen.”

I thought, “How dumb. We could have saved seventy-five cents.” Later, in discussing the incident, dad said, “My dad taught me that. He said it’s a matter of deciding what kind of person you want to be.”

More than twenty years later I took my son, Rick, to a baseball game in Walla Walla and the ticket incident repeated itself. He was fourteen at the time but looked a little younger and was offered a half-price ticket. I hadn’t thought of the race track incident in years but when Rick looked at me quizzically, I paid the full price, and suddenly dad’s words appeared on my tongue, “My dad taught me that. He said it’s a matter of deciding what kind of person you want to be.”

Your mich older brother, Richard.

Anonymous said...

as a former waitress/single mom who used the income to support tyler... Thank you for doing the right thing. it must have made her day!
jessica

Anonymous said...

Good Job Mom and Dad! I am sure it was not easy to go back to the restaurant, but I am sure you are glad you did. Nice story Uncle!

Kate said...

I love both the stories.