Thursday, March 15, 2007

These wonderful senior citizens

I'm listening to the Sand Pipers practice as I write this. This is a choir made up of senior citizens, living here at this senior community, and directed by a retired choir director. There are so many very talented people living here but when a person gets old they aren't asked to sing any more or play an instrument. But here it's different! I love to hear them perform! Now, all are not good but most of them are! My favorite pianist is Dr. Al, a retired missionary surgeon. The first time I heard him play I was shocked and thrilled! Here was this little man all bent over and walking with a walker from the front row to the piano-only a few steps-but I wondered if he'd make it! When his fingers hit the key board he came alive!!! Oh, can he play the piano! I'm his #1 fan after his wife, well, maybe his children too! Now this time I'm here and he's in a wheel chair so when it was time to play the piano he just wheeled himself up to the piano, the bench had been removed, and he came alive again! Physically, he's failing but musically he's wonderful.

No comments: