Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Scare

Boy, did I have a scare last night!!! It wasn't too late, 10:00 PM. Jerry was in bed asleep, I was sitting in the loft, reading. All of a sudden someone was pounding on the front door! I froze! I hadn't heard anyone walk on the porch like I usually do. Then I thought it's only Rob. But he usually calls first. He began pounding again! And my heart was pounding! I grabbed my robe and started down the steps. I couldn't see well enough to know if it was Rob. Then he shown a flash light through the door window! Ugh! It wasn't Rob. When I got to the door I could see it was a young man in a uniform. I wished we had an intercom so I could talk to him without opening the door. But I slowly opened the door because I was almost sure he was a sheriff's deputy. He asked if Patrick was here. Of course I said no Patrick lives here. He asked a few more questions and then thanked me. I told him he scared the daylights out of me. His car was parked half way between the house and the pole barn and he must have tiptoed across the porch so Patrick would not know he was here! It'll be interesting to hear more about this later in the news or from someone who has a police radio. My heart was still pounding when I went into the bedroom to tell Jerry what had just happened. He said he heard me talking and thought it was Rob. You know what...I've always thought if anything ever happened, like a kidnapping, I'd make sure I had my cell phone with me. I always take it upstairs with me at night. Well, last night I never even thought to grab my phone when I got my robe! Well...if there's a next time...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Boy! that would scare the nightlights out of me too, Anita. It kind of funny though, the deputy parks his car down the driveway from the house then tiptoes to the door to avoid being heard or seen only to POUND on the door. If this guy he was looking for was there wouldn't that be a big signal that this was not a friendly call and he would try to make his escape? Oh well, I am not a deputy so what do I know?

Anonymous said...

You scared me just reading that - I kept saying "MOM,don't go to the door!!!"

Anonymous said...

WOW That's scary. Have you heard any more about the man he was looking for? Did he show you his badge? Did you get his name or the # on his car? That way you can call the office to verify the official visit or was he casing the joint? I'm praying for your safty.

Anonymous said...

Thank you all for your concern. I love you.