Sunday, August 19, 2007

Sorry!

When our granddaughters were here visiting with us we played lots of games. Among the favorites were Chinese Checkers and Sorry. Being a good sport doesn't come naturally, it has to be learned. And it's a great lesson when it is learned! Now, with most games a grandmother can let the child win. However, with Sorry, there's no way of faking a loss. The whole game is pure luck and whoever wins, wins. Back to my story. The first game of Sorry that Sydney and I played, I won. Oh boy, that was bad. I found out that Sydney was a very poor sport. I told her "I'm sorry but we can't play Sorry any more because you're not a good sport." Well, that made her feel even worse and she shed lots of tears. But just before going to bed she asked if we could play Sorry again and promised to be a good sport if she lost. She begged and promised. I finally gave in and we played a game...I won! She looked at me and smiled and asked if we could play again! Second game...I won. Third game...I won. Fourth game...I won! She put out her little hand to shake mine and gave me a little smile, "I'll beat you tomorrow, Grandma!" And she did! Lord, thank you for these little lessons of sportsmanship that we can all learn together. Thank you for Sydney and her sweet spirit.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Anita, I am proud of you. You not only are teaching your grandchildren how to grow up with dignity and respect for their peers and elders but you are teaching us grandparents the importance of good GRANDPARENTING. Good for you.