Friday, February 16, 2007

Respect

Where has respect gone to? I don't see very much respect like we used to. There doesn't seem to be any respect for authority, for older persons, for people in leadership, even for God. I must be getting old. To me it's a matter of respect to dress up when we go to church. Respect for God...Respect for His House. Maybe I'm too old to understand but when I see someone coming to church and looking like they've been working out in the yard, I cringe. I hope it doesn't show! I don't mean to be judgemental. But why is it that coaches dress up when coaching a game? Why do newscasters dress up to report the news, even bad news? Why do folks dress up to go to a concert, wedding, funeral, dinner out, party, etc.? I just don't get it! Even pastors often don't dress up. They should be the example, instead they often seem to follow the lazy trend of just being casual even on Sunday morning for worship. Sometimes I think we should have a dress code! Last Sunday I was tempted to wear pants to church, they would have been dress pants. After all, a lot of women are wearing blue jeans to church! But then I picked out a skirt and sweater, I'm not going to follow this trend of casual dress. One Sunday, a few years ago, our conf. superintendent was here to speak in the morning worship service. When I shook hands with him before church started I noticed he was wearing a polo shirt! I made a comment something like, I see you've joined the casual dressers. He looked startled and said, "Oh, I have a jacket out in my car, should I wear it too? I try to dress like I think the people are going to be dressed." I told him a jacket would help! He went out and put it on. I get embarressed when I think about how bold I was. But come on, a person in leadership ought to dress the part! Where has this matter of respect gone to? I've been reading a chapter in the book of Revelation each day. I don't understand most of what I'm reading but I'm determined to finish what I've started. Even though I don't understand it I have a whole new perception of God. He is Mighty, He is Omnipresent, He is Sovereign, He is Majestic, He is Power, He is Love, He is In Control, the list goes on and on. He is Worthy to be Praised. He is worthy of my praise and respect.

No comments: