Monday, February 01, 2010

Journal

It's Monday morning and I'm thinking I'm just going to take today off... Let me write about my weekend...it was all good, but it was extremely busy.
Friday I got up at 5:00 AM, took a quick shower, and was at the church parking lot by 5:47. Donna and Linda arrived a few minutes later. (I was so glad I was the first one there:)) We were at Dianne's apartment just a little after 6:00 to pick up Dianne and Francine. Another friend, Rose, wasn't feeling well so didn't go. I drove because I had the biggest car. We drove to Detroit so Dianne could be sworn in as a US citizen. It was such a fun and interesting day! After the swearing in ceremony we went to Bahama Breeze for a fabulous dinner! I had Mahi Mahi...delicious!

Friday evening was the last supper, a chili supper and the last fund raiser for Rob & Jessica raising funds for their adoption of Armon and Elmise. Jerry made a crock pot of chili to take. It was amazing, approximately 300 people came out! They took in over $3,400! Everyone was so excited to see Elmise and Armon, who were simply playing games with the rest of the kids and having a fun time.

Saturday: Jerry and I went to the memorial service for Merle West and Gene DuFour, a little over an hour away. They were the two men who went to Haiti to work for two weeks and arrived at the guest house about 45 minutes before the earth quake. They were killed, along with a missionary. Their bodies haven't been recovered yet. We're all praying that they find them soon because their wives can't do anything without death certificates and they won't be issued until there is some kind of proof. Please join us in prayer for this. It's sad enough losing them. The service for them on Saturday was excellent. It was a joint service for the two men. There were about 400 people there.

Sunday: we went to church here to a wonderful worship service. Keith had just returned from Haiti and gave us an up to date report... Pastor Dave brought an inspiring sermon as always. He's the best preacher I've ever heard and we feel blessed to have him as our senior pastor!
After church Ramses and Sherry came to our house for dinner! Ramses has been a friend, and son, since he was just a teenager. He's originally from Haiti. We had a great visit with them.
Sunday evening we went back to church for a communion service. It was a very good service and very special. I felt the Lord's presence among us!
Afterward we had an anniversary party for our church because on Jan 28 we had been worshipping in this building for 40 years!

Okay, there is a rundown on the weekend. However, in between these major happening I was working on finishing the newsletter and getting it printed out. I sent the e-mail list about 1:00 AM Sunday and actually printed it out Sunday morning before we left for church!
I was asked to bake a cake for the anniversary party so I made the cake in the shape of our church building. I worked on it in between everything else. I still had to put on the finishing touches after Ramses and Sherry left. Jerry made the spire for it, and encouraged and supported me, as he always does.

So, there you have it. I think I'm going to do nothing today! Oh, I know that's not true.

Heavenly Father: I praise You and I love You. Thank You for keeping us safe with all the driving we did Friday and Saturday. Thank You for friends. Thank You for the hope we have in Jesus and for the hope that we'll see Merle and Gene again...some day.

2 comments:

Cowgirl said...

grandma it's sonds like a fun,exciting, sad and busy weekend i just dancded at a half time basketball game and went to barnes and noble and the libary but it was fun. this weekend i'm having a sleep over at cental westlan it will be awsome!

Kate said...

What a great cake...so much talent....I am sorry for the loss of your dear friends..so tragic. I hope you are both well and enjoying your adorable new grandkids.