Saturday, January 19, 2008

Banana, anyone?

When is a banana not a banana? I bought two bananas on Thursday to add to a fruit cup for breakfast yesterday. Well...I thought they were bananas. They were with all the other bananas. I only needed one or two and there they were, nice size, yellow, two-just what I needed! Yesterday when I was peeling...trying to peel them, I knew something was different about these bananas. I know there is a similar fruit called plantain and I suspect that's what I bought! Our company was polite and ate them (Jerry too) but I couldn't. They were hard and it took me longer to peel them than it did to peel the orange that also was in the fruit cup! I just looked plantain up on my computer and it says they are to be cooked! Oh, well, I hope I never mistakenly buy them again. The person who put the fruit out in Meijer's obviously didn't know the difference either! Lord, thank you for fruit...all kinds...especially bananas! Thank you for gracious guests who are open and able to laugh with us and not at us!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So you like plantains, do you? I think they are more of a tropical fruit.

W Vivian

Anonymous said...

You tried - that's what counts!

Kate said...

Jill ate boiled plantains and beef when she was in Tanzania...not her favorite dish!!!