Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Schwinn Bicycle Cake

Richard looking at his cake for the first time.

This is the cake I made for Richard's surprise birthday party. You see, one day we were reminiscing, over the phone, about our childhood days in Oklahoma. He got a used Schwinn bike!


It had no fenders so he bought Chrome fenders and put on it. He was just a kid but he had a job at the newspaper downtown. This was in the 40's so bikes were a little different then today's bikes. I decided to try to make a bike for his birthday cake. My attempt is very crude but it worked.
I made two cake mixes. the wheels are two round white layers and the rest is cut out of a 9 by 13 chocolate cake. The tires and chain are black liquorice. The fenders and handle bars are heavy-duty aluminum foil. The spokes are heavy silver paper, cut in strips. The brand name is from scrapbook letters. It's very crude but Richard loved it and that's all that mattered.
It was a challenge to make this since I was staying with Richard and Cookie! But Richard has a radio program on Sunday evenings from about 5:30 to 11:30. So while he was gone I was baking cakes and also listening to his radio program! Cookie was also gone. I cleaned every thing up...you couldn't tell anything was different by the time he came home. I even sprayed room deodorizer both upstairs and downstairs so he wouldn't smell anything yummy when he got home. I took the cakes and all the decorating paraphernalia downstairs to my bedroom where I worked on the creation of a bicycle cake! Like I said, it's very crude but it worked!
When Cookie arrived home she helped me with the last details, like the spokes, etc. Richard had some errands to run so while he was gone to town Cookie and I delivered the cake to the restaurant where the party was to take place. They kept it in the refrigerator for us until time to bring it out.
Lord, thank You for helping us surprise Richard with such a nice party. Thank You for helping me with the cake.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A very cool creation! You did well. Glad he liked it.