Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Journal

It's time for some more journaling.

We had a very good nine days at family camp. It was exciting to be there for Pastor Scott's ordination as an Elder. He has such potential. We're fortunate to have him as one of our assistant pastors. I hope we can keep him, but I know he'll be in demand now.

Our Bible Study leader was the best ever! Dr. Jeff Johnson. I wish he would have been the speaker in the evening as well. He's outstanding, so personable, so down to earth, so knowledgeable, so interesting. If you ever get a chance to hear him, you'll understand what I mean.

I started out walking to all the different places I wanted to go to. The horse and wagon drivers would ask me if I wanted a ride and I would always answer, "No thanks, I need the exercise!" About half way through the week my right leg began to hurt really badly. It felt like an electric shock going right down my leg. Oh no...sciatic nerve. I stopped walking and kept my leg up when sitting so it did improve but...

There is a lake on the grounds and it's been greatly improved so that it's a wonderful place to spend the afternoon with kids. My granddaughters had so much fun. The weather was just right. There are life guards but I still insisted they go with adults in charge. I went with them or they were invited to go with families of friends.

Family camp is such a great experience...but some folks are so disrespectful of rules, of just plain, common sense! Some things I'm talking about are: kids on bikes, drivers, ignoring signs, walkers, etc.

Bikers: Camp is a great place for kids to ride their bikes. Some kids learn to ride a bike there! But...some kids ride out on the road: in front of cars, without looking. They just dart out. It's amazing there aren't more accidents.

Drivers: The speed limit is 10 MPH and it really needs to be that slow because of all the kids, walkers, and bikers. Some roads are one way but some folks tend to ignore signs, think they own the road, and don't obey the speed limit.

Walkers: It's a good place to walk and get exercise, but walkers need to be respectful of drivers and go to the side to let cars and bikes go by.

Horses: A great feature of family camp are the Belgium horses pulling wagons to give folks rides for pleasure and rides to the auditorium for services. Some people have no respect...they follow too closely to the wagons; some cars try to hurry to get ahead of the horses; some pull out in front of them; you get the picture. This year there was an accident. A biker pulled out in front of the horses, they were spooked, one tried going one way, the other one tried going the other way... a tree stopped them! Several folks fell or nearly fell out of the wagon. One woman went to the hospital by ambulance. She wasn't hurt as badly as was feared, thank the Lord. I hope we can keep our horses and wagons but if people aren't more respectful of them...I wonder.

Rules and Signs: Camp is well designed and when the rules are followed all goes well. Some of the roads are one way, and need to be. There are signs, although I think there need to be more signs to make it clearer. But there are folks who just plain ignore the signs! They act like because this is a camp it doesn't matter how they drive. Wrong! It does matter and most drive safely but it only takes a few to make it unsafe.

Well, this is kind of negative but these are some of the frustrations that go along with camping at a camp with several hundred people.

So family camp is over for another year. I have wonderful memories, along with my frustrations, and can't wait til next year.

Lord, I Praise You. Thank You for family camp, formerly known as camp meeting. It's a wonderful tradition that's been going on for many, many years. Thank You for bringing it to my life. Please help folks to be more respectful of rules. Help camp to be a safe and wonderful place for families.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

totally agree with you.


regroupement de credit aussi societe de rachat de credit