Saturday, December 18, 2010

Five Years Ago Today

   Five years ago today my daddy went to heaven. I was there, which had to have been planned by the Lord.
   I was talking to my brother, Richard, on the phone. He said he was going to go out to Washington to visit our parents because Dad wasn't doing well. I decided right then I was going too.
   I took the train. When I arrived I really couldn't see any change in Dad. Richard and I both decided we'd go home on Monday knowing we'd both be back soon.
   Sunday morning I went to see Dad in the nursing home before I went to church. He was so alert and so happy to see me! 
   I pushed him home to their apartment instead of going to church. Mother was surprised! Richard joined us. We had a wonderful morning of visiting, reminiscing, looking at Christmas cards, just having a nice family time. In just four days he would have his 96th birthday!
   We took him back to his room at lunch time telling him we'd be back in the afternoon. 
   Well, when we went back about two and a half hours later, he wasn't the same. I don't even know if he knew us. 
   Later that night Mother called and told Richard and me that Dad was gone... 
   What a wonderful morning the Lord gave to us. Five years ago today. Someday I'll see him again.
   Heavenly Father, I love you. Thank You for Dad. Thank You for the wonderful Christian heritage he gave me. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Aninita,
I was reading your story about your father and saw some similarities in it when my dad passed. He was about 16 days from being 95. He had pneumonia and was in the hospital several wks. before but had come back home to the Nursing home. We had visited him in the afternoon and he seemed good. But he just went to sleep and never woke up. I was so glad he didn't have to suffer. I miss him too at Christmas time. I am thankful that he gave his life to Jesus and was a good father to me. Blessings to you and your family as you celebrate Christ's birth. You are a special friend even though we have not known each other long, it feels like we have known each other a very long time.