Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Yesterday

Ohhh, what a day yesterday was! I was going to take my granddaughters to the Butterfly House. We have lots of butterflies flying around here so it would be fun to go where they can land on us and we could identify them. I called to check on time and cost and was told the Butterfly House is only open in April and May! What a disappointment! Well, okay, we'd go for a walk in the beautiful garden in our town. Well, we soon discovered it wasn't really for children, except for a nice walk. It has rolling hills of nice green grass neatly mowed and lots of very big trees and flowers and sidewalks and paths and bridges over streams. A very nice place for grown ups to walk and relax. But for kids? nah! Well, I had taken some snacks for the girls to eat when they got hungry, like any good grandma. Would you believe there are no liter barrels anywhere?! I had to hold their sticky wrappers in my hand. Yuck! We finally came to some large round cement steps under a bridge that seemed to invite hop scotch girls! Haleigh and Sydney were doing so well! But all of a sudden Sydney missed the step and down she went, scraping her knee! Ouch! Oh, did it hurt! She cried and cried. And nothing Haleigh, Bella, or I could say helped. I couldn't even hold her closely because I had one hand full of sticky wrappers! A couple of workers came by in a motorized utility vehicle, and when they realized she was crying they stopped to see if they could be of help to us. She showed them her knee and they said they had a first aide kit up at the barn if we'd like to go there. So we started walking, Sydney limping, when the passenger young man said Sydney could ride in his place and he'd walk! Then they said Haleigh could ride in the seat with her. Well, that was almost like riding in a limo to the girls! Bella, the young man, and I walked! When we all got there they let me pick out what I thought would cover her skinned knee. I cleaned my hand first!!! I also threw the sticky wrappers away!!! Then I cleaned her knee and put the bandage on. I had to fill out a report! This was all very proper! Then we were ready to go and the man asked if she could walk?! Welllll! You guessed it! We waited while he went to get her a wheel chair! She let Bella ride in the chair with her. Haleigh and I guided and pushed the chair all the way back to the entrance. It was a long way! It wasn't a very fun afternoon, but now that it's the next day I have to say it was an interesting afternoon!
After we were home and I was fixing supper the three girls asked if they could go and visit our neighbor man, Mr. Larry. I didn't think so, but finally they convinced me it would be a nice, friendly, neighborly gesture so I said okay, but only for five minutes. If they stayed longer than five minutes they'd be in trouble! So off they went. About 10 minutes later the phone rang, oh-oh. They were five minutes late and maybe had caused a problem! Sure enough, it was Mrs. Patricia, Mr. Larry's wife! She was calling to say the three girls were sitting there in their screened in porch having some refreshment, 7UP! They were worried because they knew they were past the five minutes I had said they could stay. But, they were being very good and so could they, please, stay about 10 more minutes? Oh, okay, sure, why not.
After supper we went to the first night of VBS. What a fun way to end the day.

No comments: