Sunday, October 07, 2007

Grieving...

Every time I come out to this senior center I end up grieving and this time is no exception. There are two empty places at a table in the dining room where two couples always sat together for almost every meal. They were great friends. But, I watched Ed go down hill every time I came out here. First he had trouble walking, the next time I came he had a walker, then a wheel chair, then a care giver. The two couples still always sat together and enjoyed each other's company. This time I'm here and Howard and Lucille sit alone or with other residents. I finally asked about Ed and Betty. Ed died in August and Betty died in September! How sad...

Then there is Lawrence. He loves to tell stories of his past. He was a choir director for years. He and my dad were good friends and now he would stop by my mother's table and share another story with us. I loved him. I saw him being pushed in a wheel chair down the hall one day this week and I almost cried...even now writing about him makes me very sad. He has fallen a couple of times, broke his leg and some other injuries so he's now in nursing. The day I saw him I was shocked at how he looked. I said hello to him but he didn't respond. It's very sad. Thank you, Lord, for these wonderful folks. Thank you for this wonderful place where they can grow old and be well taken care of.

1 comment:

Kate said...

You are a wonderful friend...