Thursday, April 12, 2007

Camping


We have always loved to camp. We started back when Pammy and Teddy were just that! We started out with a small fold up camper. It opened out to a double bed on each side. We've changed campers several times and now for the last 17 years we've been enjoying our Shadow Cruiser 5th Wheel trailer. Okay, now you think I'm going to say that we're trading it in on a new bigger one...sorry, that's not what I'm going to say! Going through some of my Mother's old pictures I came across a picture someone had sent to her in 1930. My Mom was 16 years old. I thought it was quite fascinating. 77 years ago adventuresome folks were going camping! This was a giant Douglas Fir Tree hollowed out and made into a home! It was mounted on an Oneida Truck, traveled over 30,000 miles and toured through 34 states! Some people just have camping in their blood!!!

2 comments:

Kate said...

How unique and how much fun they must have had!!!

Anonymous said...

Anita, were you along when the folks took a trip to Georgia from Des Monies, IA? It was 1952 or 53 I believe. We slept in the car at night. the folks could not afford a motel and Dad would fix breakfast, lunch & supper on a small gas stove. I still remember the smell of cooking bacon. I was around ten years old. It was a great adventure to me. Most of us would not think of sleeping in the car on a long trip except in an emergency today. Too many weirdos out there. If you remember this trip you might remember more than I did. You are older.