Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Smoke alarm!

Oh boy, I did it today. I needed to make up a hummingbird mixture so I put water and sugar in a small pan on a burner turned up on high. Usually I stir and just wait for it to come to a boil, turn it down to simmer and after a few minutes turn it off to cool. Well, today I turned the burner on high and went into the living room to read the paper with Jerry. I even started the crossword puzzle. All of the sudden the smoke alarm went off! What in the world...Oh, NO! I suddenly remembered the hummingbird water. It had boiled dry and all that sugar had burned in the bottom of my pan. Smoke filled the house and left a horrible odor. We opened windows and turned on fans. I sprayed room deodorizer all through the house. My little pan is ruined. I got that from my mom's things when they moved out of their apartment. It's in the trash now. I'm thankful I didn't go for a bike ride, I might have burned the house down!!! Oh boy, I've heard of old folks doing dumb stuff like this but I'm not old yet! I've still got a little over two years to go before I'm old!

No comments: