Thursday, December 01, 2011

My Heart Hurts

Today I heard of another friend dying of cancer. Her husband will be getting help from hospice very soon. She started out with breast cancer a few years ago and despite treatment it spread. Her own mother died of breast cancer 46 years ago today. She was a dear friend of mine. She left a husband and three young daughters. Now the oldest of the three girls is dying of breast cancer. She and her husband will soon be celebrating their 31st anniversary, but Cheryl only has a few months or less to live.


It's only been a couple of months ago that another friend of mine died of cancer. He and I had served closely on a conference committee. His wife and I are friends but because of working together on the committee Jim and I became close friends. We first met when we were both students at Spring Arbor College. He was a couple of years younger than I am.


Another young woman I know died just a few weeks ago, also of cancer. I knew her mother and dad more than I knew her. She's the age of some of my children and was in the Teens For Christ choir with them. Lisa was a young wife and mother.


In 1958 I met two young guys under an Oak Tree on a campground. My dad was the guest speaker at a camp and I had accompanied him and my mother and brother. One of those two young guys became my husband 52 years ago. The other one was a good friend over the years. Last spring Bob died of a stroke!


Yes, my heart hurts today. Yet, each of these four has and had a personal relationship with Jesus. I'll see them again some day, along with my dad and many more friends and relatives. It's very hard when we lose loved ones, but...we have hope...




For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through Him.  Whoever believes in him is not condemned,      John 3:16 & 17

No comments: