Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Journal 8/23/11

Whoa! Where is the summer going? September and autumn will soon be here. Autumn is actually my favorite season but I would like it to hold off a little longer. Okay...a lot longer! 


We're keeping busy here. I'm always working on the newsletter I write and am editor of. 


This evening I have a board meeting to go to. It's bitter/sweet. I've been on the missions board for years and years. We've seen changes come and go. But it seems that boards are a thing of the past. So this may be the last meeting for all of us or at least for me.
     Everything has changed in the church. There are no boards any more at all, except the missions board. We've held on because we believe in what we're doing. We're excited about what the Lord is doing around the world and we love promoting it throughout the church so everyone is aware of God's love in a hurting world. But we're being ignored and made to feel like we're in the way. It's time for a change. This is very difficult and hurts clear to the core of me but it's not worth the resentment I feel when I see and hear others promoting projects without the board's knowledge ahead of time. It's not control...it is not being included  on the ground work. I never expected it to end like this but, I guess, life goes on.


     We've gone through many changes in the church and we've survived. In fact we're growing! I'll name a few changes here. 
     Pews have been exchanged for chairs. The pulpit has been exchanged for a little table to hold a computer. Pastors sit on a stool to deliver the sermon.
     We've gone from one pastor to four. Our senior pastor is so anointed by God. His sermons reflect this so there is no doubt that God is with him. Our other pastors are gifted men that God is using. We're blessed with our pastoral staff. 
     We have no organ or choir or song leader and very seldom have special music in our services. We have a band and two or three singers to lead us. We seldom sing hymns, mainly choruses. We have no hymnals, the words are on screens up on the platform.
     We have no Sunday School, except for the Young at Heart class because they refused to quit! It's held during 1st service, the folks attend 2nd service. Our children are not lacking in instructions. We have children's church and a Wednesday evening program that is outstanding. 
     We have no evening service, except once in a while for a special occasion. We do have small groups who supposedly meet on the first and third Sunday evenings, some have changed the times to better meet their needs.
     I grew up respecting God's House, dressing in a respectful way, not prideful but respectful. There is no respect today. Some folks look like they've been out working in the yard and at the last minute decided to come to church. Jeans, shorts, t-shirts, low cut shirts, very short skirts, etc. are common attire. Even pastors seldom dress up. Once in a while they will come wearing a tie but it's seldom. I think the pastor should set the example for dressing up, in respect for God's House, but what I think doesn't matter.
     We have no committees except for the missions board who will soon be disbanding, I fear. 
     Most of these changes have taken place over the last ten years or so. I have prided myself in that I've not resisted the changes. I've moved along with them. Jerry and I read a book together that helped us tremendously, Who Stole My Church by Gordon MacDonald. But I must admit I'm struggling with this last change. Missions has been a part of my life, my entire life! I've been a part of the missions board my whole married life, which is 52 years!
     God is good, God is sovereign, God is in-control, God is love, God is omnipresent. God is King, God is the good Shepard, God is three in one: Father, Son, Holy Spirit. God is all knowing, all seeing, all hearing. God is compassionate and kind. "For God so loved the world He gave His only Son, that whoever believes in Him will not perish but have eternal life." John 3:16   

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Anita, this was a good blog and I know you must be frustrated with some of these things as sometimes we are at our church. Truly things are changing. Some things are so much better, but other things need tweaking. I feel your input was very valuable for the people that are working to improve. I'm glad you didn't resign and God helped you to be positive with everything. It looks like He blessed you in the process. Also... Loved hearing about your kids all coming home for supper after a long trip. You are such a blessing to others. May God continue to use you and bless you as He has so many times in the past.