Saturday, October 07, 2006

Coming of age celebration


I just came home from a Coming of Age Celebration breakfast. Elizabeth is turning 13 and several of us were invited to breakfast at Bob Evans Restaurant to help her celebrate. This was not a birthday party, I'm sure she'll have that with her peers. This was a time for some of us who have had interaction with Elizabeth through her growing up years. I have known her all her life and I taught Club 56 the two years that Elizabeth was in it, so I was invited. It was a privelege to be a part of it. In the picture Elizabeth is the fourth person back on the right hand side of the table. I'm the second person back on the left. Everyone has written a short message to Elizabeth with words of encouragement and love, these were given to her to read and keep in a special album just for this day. Her parents gave her a beautiful white gold ring with a little heart on it to wear as a reminder to keep her body pure until marriage. She also received a few other gifts, like CDs. This is my third coming of age celebration to be a part of and I think it's a wonderful way of showing these young girls how important they are to us and how they are entering an exciting time in their lives. God loves you, Elizabeth, and so do I!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great idea - I have never heard of doing that.

Wish we could all plan to be in Malasia for Annie's 13 to have a party like that for her.

Think you can organize a long distance party??

Of course, once you start . . .
you have quite a few granddaughters

Anonymous said...

You're right, five, with another one on the way but it's a great idea! I wish I'd have done that for my own daughters!